Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mass Effect 3: The Ending

I was going to write a spoiler-laden article here about the various problems with the ending of Mass Effect 3. It was going to be sprawling and deep and it was going to blow all of your goddamn minds. Then, I did a Google search for 'Mass Effect 3 Endings' and realized that this is already old news. I don't care anymore. There's no right answer in this and we have to live with what Bioware gave us. For the sake of furthering the art of gaming, as I am obviously its vanguard, I will say that the ending is way too confusing. If the Indoctrination Theory is true (viewable here, but beware of spoilers and overproduction,) then Bioware should have made it more explicit and expanded. I like open endings, but only when they are done well and have more than three seconds of footage to hint and what's coming next. 

I'll post links at the bottom so that you guys can read various takes on the ending, but I'm still going to put my two cents in here really fast. Video games are a very new art form with very new rules. Developers feel they own a game because they made it and gamers feel they own a game because of how invested they are in the story; they feel they are in that story. This is even more true in an RPG, and doubly super infinity true when an RPG is as well-crafted and beloved as Mass Effect. I think gamers went too far especially the one who filed a complaint with the FTC, but at the same time Bioware really dropped the ball. Anyway, I'll just give you the links and let you decide for yourself, although I will give commentary with each link.




Just as a recap:

1) The Mass Effect 3 ending is terrible because it makes no sense, ignores most players decisions and is overall confusing, melodramatic, and awful.

2) However, if video games are art, then we must respect the authors and their vision. We can argue and whine about how bad it is, but changing it would arguably destroy it as a work of art. 

3) You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, Bioware. Think next time, and make sure that the new ending you're making works. I'm sick of this and don't really want to talk about it anymore. See you guys next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment